The answer is no. It’s not cheating to use Grammarly. Before we address this issue further, it’s crucial to define Grammarly, since not every student knows it exists.
Grammarly is an online program that helps students proofread papers and assignments. It helps students edit their work and offers ideas to make sentences compact, clear, and easy to read.
You can now see why people argue about whether or not using Grammarly is cheating. It gives students a real edge over other students who don’t know about it or how to use it.
Students who use Grammarly get better grades. There’s a free version of Grammarly that students can use to test it out.
Is Grammarly Cheating?
The answer is apparent, as Grammarly does not support cheating. Teachers, academics, and universities recommend Grammarly to students.
Grammarly isn’t cheating because it just aids in proofreading and doesn’t supply writing or typing suggestions. It offers no tips to improve grades. Grammarly can’t automatically edit papers, thus it’s not cheating.
Grammarly only highlights unclear sentences. It offers suggestions for improving spelling and grammar.
As an online tool, Grammarly can’t answer assignment questions nor guarantee clean or excellent grammar.
As such, it is evident that the use of Grammarly cannot qualify as cheating.
Grammarly can’t answer your queries. Its algorithm can only make your writing clearer.
The algorithm can’t think for students. If you don’t respond to Grammarly’s suggestions, it won’t make the adjustments. You choose to change.
You haven’t paid someone to write your paper when utilizing Grammarly. Cheating occurs when college students use essay writing services.
When utilizing Grammarly, no writer will aid you. This makes Grammarly honest.
What Does Grammarly Do For Students?
According to a Grammarly poll, 84% of students who use it say it helps them improve their scores and spot weak writing habits and rectify them. Regular use shows this is well-supported. Students who revise and reread their own work improve tremendously with practice.
Students that type tend to get their thoughts down fast and don’t revise as they write. This is a fantastic technique for fluid thought processes, but it causes many faults that can be overlooked on a computer screen. Grammarly catches mistakes and lets students focus on their ideas before editing.
Regular use of the software helps improve tone and increase confidence across writing assignments. Students must proofread their writing to accept or reject ideas and improve the tone.
This affects other writing as they get more comfortable spotting errors. This speeds up the writing process because students can rapidly discover and rectify problems.
Why is Grammar Important?
I remind my students that their writing is often the first impression a future employer, university, lecturer, or romantic interest has of them.
Cover letters resume, emails and text messages are all valid. If your work is full of errors, you may be saying the recipient isn’t worth checking for good language.
Grammar helps you communicate clearly and create your reputation. According to my school’s industry partners, a person who writes clearly and concisely is trusted and ethical. They interview well and are regarded for careers following graduation.
What Does Grammarly Do For Teachers?
Grammarly isn’t just for Students. Anyone can use it to better write at home or at work (I do). But professors who demand it in the classroom or use it directly to assess student work can save time and provide more personalized feedback.
With growing class sizes and students falling further behind, anything that puts academic growth back in the student’s hands should be considered. Plus, its effectiveness avoids wasted time.
Teachers can focus more on paper content and ideas when grading Grammarly-checked papers.
It can give teachers a quick visual of where to focus their efforts, which was an unexpected use.
Grammarly helps teachers identify students who struggle with sentence structure or basic conventions, indicating language barriers, learning issues, or poorly practiced skills from previous grades.
Advantages Of Grammarly
- Grammarly makes your work sound professional even if you can’t write well.
- Grammarly can help bloggers, copywriters, content marketers, authors, teachers, or academics detect plagiarism in student papers, and business professionals create proper presentations, reports, social media postings, or emails. Students and those who write in English can improve with Grammarly.
- If you pay for the premium edition, you’ll get editing recommendations and plagiarism-checking features. Your paper will be error- and plagiarism-free.
- Grammarly’s premium version is not that expensive. Grammarly is worth the monthly cost due to its useful features. Monthly subscriptions cost $30, while quarterly subscriptions cost $19.98 monthly and $59.95. An annual subscription costs $139.95 ($11.66 monthly)
If you can’t afford Grammarly Premium, utilize the free version. Premium services like plagiarism-checking and advanced suggestions are unavailable.
Disadvantages of Grammarly
- Grammarly doesn’t offer comments or context for corrections/suggestions like a human would. The suggestions are made by a robotic program.
- Grammarly can make mistakes when a sentence contains a non-dictionary word. Grammarly works well for short pieces. Use human proofreaders for novels.
- Finally, you must pay for premium services. The free version doesn’t offer much, so you should purchase the premium version to utilize the service.
I recommend Grammarly to all my students.
You can’t “cheat” with Grammarly. Grammarly can make your writing clearer and earn you better grades, but it’s still your job to find the information and compose.
The software makes you rewrite your work and asks, “Did you mean this?
So, at the end of the day, you’re responsible for making the right decisions. Grammarly is a useful tool that checks for errors in writing.